How good is probiotics?
Do you know that our body hosts more bacteria than human cells?
Probiotics are friendly bacteria found living in our gut. Recent researches have found that the type of bacteria living in human’s gut can greatly affect their risk of disease, immunity, mood & so on. Scientists found that in a healthier, leaner person, there are more friendly bacteria living in the gut. These friendly bacteria produce helpful chemicals that influence our health, resulting in lower risk of disease, stronger immunity & so on. The type of bacteria that lives in our gut is greatly affected by our diet.
Foods containing probiotics such as yoghurt, tempeh, miso soup, alongside with prebiotics like onions, garlic, wholegrain & greens are important in producing a healthy gut bacteria environment.
Proven benefits of probiotics
- Relieves digestive discomfort like bloating, diarrhea, constipation
- Improve medical condition like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Unsupported marketing claims
X Detox & clean your gut
X Lose weight & fats fast
Who can benefit from probiotics supplement?
- Individuals with general digestive issues like bloating, diarrhea, constipation
Who needs to avoid probiotics supplement?
- Individuals with weak immunity like elderly, infected & sick patients, HIV etc
What to look for in probiotics supplement?
- Adequate dose (Few billions CFU or above 100 mg)
- Specified strains (Lactobacillus sp., Bifidobacterium sp.)
What to NOT do with probiotics foods or supplement?
- Cook with high heat or consume with hot water
Source: National Institute of Health